President Muhammadu Buhari  on Tuesday said the Boko Haram sect was no longer a serious fighting force despite the ugly incidents witnessed recently in Dapchi, Yobe State and Rann, Borno State.
The sect had abducted 110 pupils from the Government Science and Technical Girls College, Dapchi and killed United Nations’ aid workers rendering humanitarian service in Rann, Kalabalge Local Government Area of Borno State.
Buhari, however, said the separate incidents were not indications that the government was fighting a war that could not be won.
Buhari was represented by Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo at the opening of the 8th National Security Seminar 2018 organised with the theme “Fighting Tomorrow’s Warfare Today,” by the Alumni Association of the National Defence College in Abuja.
The President said the terrorists, who he described as faceless were capable of doing anything to continue to get media attention which he said was their oxygen.
Despite the latest incidents, Buhari said there should be no room for self-pity or frustration on the part of government.
According to him, the Dapchi and Rann incidents should rekindle the determination of the government and the Armed Forces to permanently subdue terrorism in Nigeria.
Buhari said since the incidents happened, Nigeria’s security and intelligence chiefs had all mobilised to Yobe State and environs, and had been re-assessing their strategies and approaches to securing lives and property and containing the threat the sect poses.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here