Israel said it hit dozens of military targets in Gaza in response to a barrage of mortar and rocket fire from the strip’s Islamist rulers Hamas and allies Islamic Jihad, in the worst flare-up since a 2014 war.
A spokesman for Jihad said a ceasefire agreement had been reached to restore calm, though the Israeli army declined to comment on the claim.
Explosions continued until late Tuesday, with the Israeli army reporting sirens being triggered in a number of locations near the border.
The recent exchange of fire came after weeks of deadly unrest along the border between Israel and the blockaded Palestinian enclave.
Three Israeli soldiers were wounded by projectiles fired from Gaza, one moderately and two lightly, said the army though there were no immediate reports of any casualties in the strip.
In a rare joint statement, Hamas and Islamic Jihad declared shared responsibility for the attacks, saying it was in retaliation for Israeli attacks targeting their positions.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here